About Walpole & Districts

Despite its small stature, the tidy town of Walpole and its surrounding districts is immensely proud of its place in the world, which is stunningly beautiful and is home to a rich natural and cultural heritage.

We honour and celebrate our place and our people in this series of articles:


The last can of cream

A cream can. Pic source: www.carnamah.com.au

In April 1979 the last can of cream left Walpole & Districts. Gordon Brass was the dairy farmer who firmly pushed down the lid on the can and joined the ranks of bulk milk producers in the area. Gordon and his family farmed on a North Walpole property which was … Continue reading

The last post

Early in 2014 a member of Walpole’s Tidy Towns group re-erected an old post on the corner of Pier Street and Cooper Lane. The axe cuts on the post sparked his interest. What was the significance of this post? What is its story? In 1927 a “group 138” settler built … Continue reading

The last exchange

1982 marked the end of an era in Walpole & Districts when the last two manual telelphone exchanges were connected to the subscriber trunk dialling (STD) network. Nornalup was the first to go in April 1982; Jarrah Glen in June 1982. Mrs Kirree Shaw manned the Nornalup exchange for 21 … Continue reading

The first Tinglewood

One fateful day in October 1978, the community of Walpole & Districts woke to the news that Tinglewood Homestead, the renowned guest house, had been destroyed by fire. Feelings of shock and disbelief spread throughout the region at this news. The beautiful, historic property on the Deep River was an … Continue reading

The first train to Nornalup

In June 1929, an event of great significance for the settlers of Nornalup and Walpole and the group settlement areas took place when the first train steamed into the little town of Nornalup. Imagine the initial excitement of the settlers as they watched this link with the outside world steam … Continue reading